What incentives does Alberta offer for solar installation?
Under Alberta’s Micro-Generation Regulation, consumers may produce up to 5MW of their own electricity. Any excess electricity may then be sold to the grid at market or retail prices, depending on the consumer’s needs. Energy Efficiency Alberta provides incentives through the RCSP for renewable generation of $0.75W to reduce installation and maintenance costs for residential and commercial customers.
Once your solar installation has been completed, a bi-directional meter will be installed on your home by your energy retailer at no cost which allows you to import electricity to and from the grid. As Alberta’s energy retail market is de-regulated, residential customers can find a retailer that may be willing to purchase their solar power in the summer months for more than the retailer will sell it back to them during the winter.
The Town of Banff encourages residential property owners to install solar photovoltaic systems to produce renewable electricity. This program is funded by the environmental reserve, which in turn is generated through a franchise fee that the electrical utility pays to use the space under Banff’s streets to run its wires for providing electricity.
Click here to learn more about Banff’s Solar PV Incentive Program.
In 2018, eight solar incentives of $1,250 were made available to businesses and residents to help offset the cost of purchasing and installing a solar electric system in the Town of Canmore.
Click here to learn more about Canmore’s Solar PV Incentive Program.
If you reside on a farm, and have the appropriate Distribution Rate Class for Farms, you are eligible to receive funding.
The incentives are as follows:
- For systems ≤ 100W, you will receive $0.75/W to a maximum of 35 percent of eligible cost share
- For systems 100.01kW-150kW, you will receive $0.56/W to a maximum of 27 percent of eligible cost share
Click here to learn more about On-Farm Incentives.
The Alberta Indigenous Solar Program (AISP) is a program which provides grants to Alberta Indigenous communities or Indigenous organizations for the installation of solar photovoltaic (PV) systems on facilities owned by the community or organization.
The AISP provides funding up to 80 percent of eligible expenses to a maximum of $200,000 per project. Applicants can apply to other non-Government of Alberta funded programs to fund the remaining 20 percent of the project expenses. The maximum funding stacking level is 100 percent of eligible costs.
Click here to learn more about the AISP.
Does Saskatchewan offer Solar Installation incentives?
Saskatchewan’s Net Metering Program allows residents to generate their own power, which provides cost savings. Businesses, residents and farms which have the capability to generate up to 100kW of power are entitled to receive a one-time rebate of 20 percent of eligible costs up to a maximum of $20,000 until November 30th, 2018.
Click here to learn more about Saskatchewan’s Net Metering Program.
Saskatchewan also offers a Small Power Producers Program that allows producers to sell some or all of their renewably produced power to the grid. This program has reached its capacity and is currently no longer accepting applications.
British Columbia Incentives
What about BC's solar incentives?
BC Hydro allows Net Metering for solar systems up to 100 kW. This allows a business owner or resident to install a Solar PV system on their building or residence and feed the surplus into the grid. The excess energy exported to the grid is credited at the published retail rate and will appear as a credit on their account.
The Province of B.C. gives Provincial Sales Tax (PST) exemptions on renewable energy equipment including solar energy equipment including panels, inverters, and supplementary wiring components.